LaHue's Hive for 355

A blog composed for the Fall 2005 semester Internet Newspapers & Magazines course at California State University, Chico. No animals were harmed in the production of this blog.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Press Freedom on the Web--Information with Mobilization?

The Internet is a powerful tool when looking at the concept of press freedoms.

I'm a regular reader of Jim Romenesko's page on the site of the Florida-based Poynter Institute and the news flashes from the Virginia-based Student Press Law Center. With both these organizations based on the opposite end of the country, a communication medium like the Internet allows me to get information from them much faster than through other forms (such as a newsletter).

I will often look at stories dealing with press freedoms from these sites, such as two recent incidents reported on SPLC: Facebook.com attempting to claim copyrights after a front-page story in the University of Miami's student newspaper and administrators at a high school in Washington State pulling an end-around on student editors taking a stand on public forum status by printing a month-late edition of the student paper without their knowledge. I think this is because The Orion's recent (and kinda/sorta successful, but not fully) battle for public forum status really galvanized what was a passing curiosity for me into a full-blown interest.

But, combine these initial attention-grabbing stories with some Google searches on other stories out there on the same incidents, and I can easily get my press right fill for the day.

A question I have, that I would have answered if the Internet at my house wasn't down when I was writing this: Does the ability to have incident of potential student press rights violations increase support for students taking these types of stands from across the country?

0 Alligators:

Post a Comment

<< Home